Pleasure Crafts


What is a Pleasure Craft?

A Pleasure Craft is basically any craft which is intended for use within the port exclusively for sport or pleasure purposes, but does not include any craft which is used to carry passengers on sightseeing tours within the port for which each such passenger is charged a separate and distinct fare. All pleasure craft to be used in Singapore port waters must be licensed.

Pleasure craft licensed with MPA shall be prefixed with the following letters:

  • SZ – in the case of a pleasure craft for private use; and
  • SZH – in the case of a pleasure craft for commercial use

Where can I store my Pleasure Craft?

Owners of pleasure craft are required to store their craft at established boatels, yacht clubs, marinas or designated pleasure craft mooring sites. Confirmation letter of mooring from such boatel, yacht club or marina is to be submitted at the time of application.

Owners whose craft are found moored illegally will be prosecuted.

What do I need to do if my Pleasure Craft is no longer in use?

When a craft is no longer in use, the pleasure craft licence must be surrendered to the MPA Marine Licensing and Permits department (MLP) and approval must be obtained from the Port Master to dispose of or store the craft on land.

To delicense a craft, please fill up the delicensed form and submit to Once approved, you will receive an email confirmation of cancellation.

Why do I need to register my Pleasure Craft?

The purpose of Registration will accord the craft a nationality. The Registry does not provide evidence of title nor does it accommodate the registration of mortgages. Owners who wish to sail their craft beyond Singapore port limits must register their craft with a Flag Registry. Owners who qualify can choose to register their craft with the SRS or any other Flag Registry for which they are eligible.

How do I register my Pleasure Craft?

Pleasure craft plying in international waters are required to be flagged with a Flag Registry. Registration will accord the craft a nationality. Craft owners may choose to register their craft with the Singapore Registry of Ships (SRS) or any other Flag Registry that offers the service. Craft registered with the SRS are to be used exclusively by the owner or his guests for sport or pleasure purposes only, and not for commercial use.

Registrations with the SRS can be made at MPA Registry Department at 460 Alexandra Road, PSA Building Level 21, Singapore 119963. The SRS can be contacted at: or TEL: 6375 1932.

Do I need to flag my Pleasure Craft within Singapore port limits?

Pleasure craft that ply solely within the port limits of Singapore waters are not required to be flagged, but would require a pleasure craft licence. Applications for a pleasure craft licence can be submitted electronically through MPA's MARINET system. For more information, please contact Marine Licensing and Permits at: or Tel: 6325 2373.

What are visiting Yachts?

Any foreign or Singapore yacht cruising within the Singapore port waters without a pleasure craft licence, is considered as visiting yacht. Owners of visiting yatchts cruising within the Singapore port limits must apply for a cruising permit through the MARINET system using the online application, “e-Permits – Application for Visiting Yacht Cruising Permit”.

Additionally, craft owners who do not have a valid PPCDL/APPCDL, are required to complete an On-line Assessment Test using the MARINET system before they can pilot their yachts in Singapore port waters. Alternatively, they can engage the services of a steersman with a valid PPCDL/APPCDL.

For more information, please contact Marine Environment and Safety Department (MESD) at or TEL: 6325 2488/6325 2489.

What is the required procedure for a Pleasure Craft to leave Singapore?

Pleasure craft, recreational fishing vessels and yachts, must obtain a Port Clearance Certificate (PCC) before departing the Port of Singapore. A departure declaration, together with the relevant documents, must be made to the MPA to obtain the PCC. The declaration can be made online at and requires the submission of these documents:

Certificate of Registry;

Safety Equipment Certificate as the case may be, reflecting the number of persons that the craft is permitted to carry and the life-saving devices she must be equipped with as prescribed by the flag state;

Declaration of voyage information (including destination, estimated date/time of departure from and return to Singapore) and the planned route of the trip to be drawn onto the chartlet.

Leave a copy of this information with a reliable relative, friend or your marina club. This is so that if you are overdue, a report can be made to the appropriate authorities to initiate search and rescue. Electronic Port Clearance users are to send the chartlet to the Maritime Rescue Co-ordination Centre (MRCC), either by email or contact MRCC Duty Officer at Tel: 6226 5539.

Can I give my Pleasure Craft any name that I like?

Undesirable names that are likely to cause confusion in an emergency will not be accepted for registration. In addition, owners must be prepared to change a chosen name for their pleasure craft should the name already exist in the registry. No two craft under the Singapore registry shall bear the same name.


The owner shall ensure that within one month from the date of registration, the pleasure craft is properly marked as follows:

  • The name of the craft is clearly painted on or affixed on the exterior of the hull which is above the waterline of the pleasure craft, and its lifebuoys
  • The word “Singapore” is clearly painted on or affixed on the stern, and its lifebuoys
  • The markings must be effectively maintained

All Singapore Registered Craft shall hoist the national colours of Singapore known as the Red Ensign at the stern of craft. The symbol is that of a circle enclosing a crescent surmounted by five stars in a circle, all in white. The ratio of the width to the length of the ensign is one to two. The colours, crescent and stars are from the Singapore flag.

What is the validity of my Port Clearance Certificate (PCC)?

The PCC issued by MPA is valid for 48 hours from the time of its issuance. The owners, agents or masters must cancel the PCC and obtain a new PCC if the vessel fails to depart during the validity period.

What are the local prohibited areas?

  1. Jurong Island

  2. Pulau Busing and Pulau Bukom

  3. Pulau Sebarok and Shell SBM

  4. Sembawang Wharves and approaches

  5. Cafhi Jetty

  6. Changi Naval Base

  7. Selat Sengkir

  8. Pulau Satumu (Raffles Lighthouse)

  9. Southern Islands (Pulau Sudong, Pulau Pawai and Pulau Senang)

  10. Tuas Naval Base

  11. West Johor Straits from 2nd Link to Sarimbun adjacent to SAFTI Live firing area

  12. Chek Jawa Wetlands

  13. Ferry terminals and Piers (Changi Point Ferry Terminal, Changi Ferry Terminal, Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal, Marina South Pier and West Coast Pier)

  14. Tuas Explosive Jetty

  15. All Port Marine Notice (PMN) working areas

What do I do when my Pleasure Craft arrives at foreign ports?

When calling foreign ports, kindly adhere to the respective local port regulations.

On arrival at a foreign port, all crafts are to report to the Harbour-master’s office to report inwards and to the immigration and customs offices with copies of crew list.

Before departure, all crafts are to report to the above offices with their crew list for outward clearance. A copy of the outward crew list duly endorsed by the immigration office to be kept and presented on return to Singapore or at the next port.

Do Canoes and Kayaks need to be licensed?

Since 2 June 2003, canoes and kayaks owned by individuals and organisations (except commercial operators) do not need to be licensed by the MPA. “Organisations” here refers to either:

  1. An organisation not operated or conducted primarily for profit, which is engaged in or connected with the promotion of sports; or
  2. An education institution not operated or conducted for profit, which is engaged with or connected with the advancement of education; or
  3. A public authority or society not operated or conducted for profit, which is engaged with or connected with charitable activities that benefit the community as a whole.